Saturday, August 30, 2008

Santiago De Compostala.

Today I arrived to my destination.. the cathedral in Santiago. I left Padron around 8am in the middle of a huge thunderstorm and walked in the rain for about an hour before it stopped. This was the first time during the trip that it had rained and luckily I had packed a plastic rain coat which I was thankful for to be able to pull out of my pack and put on.
The walk into Santiago wasnt that great as a lot of modern apertments have recently been built with the way passing through them blocking out the view from the top of the hill of Santiago city.
The area around the catherdral is jammed packed with pilgrims coming off the various different ways however I was able to spot a number of my fellow perigrinos in the main square outside the cathedral and had the obligatory photo taken of myself with the catherdral in the back ground.
Then it was off to a small hotel that had been recomended to me about a 5 minute walk from the center. It is a small, clean place that only costs 15 euro per night and as I plan to stay in Santiago two nights it is ideal.
Tomorrow I will go to the pilgrims office to recieve my compotala which is like a certificate to say that you have completed your camino. Then around midday they have a service inside the catherdral which I will have a look at.
I do not leave Santiago until the 4th september so I may do a small section of another walk before flying back to the UK.

4 comments:

Matthias said...

Hi Greg, how is everything?
What a great time we had on the caminho?! Especially our last day in Santiago with Verena, Florian and this delicious Spanish coffee! From which I get a headache the next day...
Hope to see you soon again - maybe in New Zealand.

Good day!
Matthias

PS: It is good to have German bread now again for breakfast ;-)

Flotzge said...

Hi Greg,
hope you're fine.
Like matthias already said, we had a great time on the caminho ...
and the last evening was pretty cool, hope you got your bus to finesterra.

goodday to new zealand ...

Florian

SHAZ AT LAKESIDE said...

lovely, my 2 gal chums and I will be doing a wee walk in May 2012. only 6 days, we from south Africa. will see more blogs i hope. thx Sharon Mc

Camino Travel said...

5 years after the Camino, are you think in come back?